I love this super easy crab cakes recipe, because it appeals to Randy’s crab cravings and preference for spicy heat. It’s a healthier version of what we used to race to Joe’s Crab Shack for that I can easily make up in my own kitchen.
If you’re not a fan of heat, no problem. This healthy easy crab cakes recipe is just as good without the cayenne and hot sauce. In fact, this recipe is simple enough that you can season your crabby cakes to fit your own fancy. Maybe you will come up with something even better! We’re always looking for new tasty dishes…
Easy Crab Cakes Recipe – Makes 8 Crab Cakes
- 16 ounces canned crab meat or fresh lump meat (I use 4 cans BumbleBee brand drained well)
- 1/4 cup Kraft Reduced Fat Mayo with Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion (both green and white parts)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I use Kraft)
- 1 large egg white (if eggs are small, use 2)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic power
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4-6 good shakes hot pepper sauce (I buy Red Hot in bulk sized jar and add 3 minced habanero peppers to it – makes for a lot of good, cheaper heat)
- Nonstick cooking spray like Pam
In a medium bowl, combine crab meat, mayo, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, green onion, mustard, egg white, spices, and hot sauce until just blended. Form into eight 3 inch patties and gently coat with remaining bread crumbs. I hold the patty in my hands over a plate to coat to prevent them from breaking.
Spray a large skillet or large electric griddle with Pam. Cook crab cakes on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side to brown and crisp. Remove from heat and serve with tartar sauce if desired.
Easy Crab Cakes Recipe Nutritional Values (1 cake):
- 129 calories grams fat
- 12 grams carbohydrates
- 14 grams protein
- .5 gram of fiber
Low Fat Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup Kraft Reduced Fat Mayo with Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Heinz sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice from one lemon wedge
Mix all ingredients in bowl and serve – easy peazy.
Tartar Sauce Nutritional Values (1 tablespoon):
- 40 calories
- 3 grams fat
- 3 grams carbohydrates
For a lighter healthy meal, serve this easy crab cakes recipe with a garden salad loaded with raw veggies and light dressing. Or, you can make broccoli slaw like I did. I bought a bag of pre-cut broccoli slaw and threw in the veggies we had left in the refrigerator – cucumbers, carrots, red onion. I had to use them up, so that’s the combo we had. I mixed 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 2 teaspoons chicken base, and then a little garlic powder, pepper, and maybe 2 teaspoons of sugar to make dressing. It was pretty good, and my teenager ate what was left in the bowl…
Start experimenting in your kitchen and see what you come up with. I’d love to have an easy lighter oil and vinegar dressing. I am going to keep experimenting too, to see if we can find a favorite.
I hope you enjoy this healthy easy crab cakes recipe and keep in touch with your kitchen discoveries.
To your spicy good health,