If you want to wow your guests at Thanksgiving dinner, you have to, must have to, serve this Pumpkin Biscuit Recipe. It is the best recipe for biscuits I have ever made in all my years of baking biscuits! Of course, I must add that I am partial to pumpkin. Those of you following the blog know as much, so this does sway my taste-buds in their favor. However I have to admit, overall, the biscuits are extremely moist and fluffy with a bit of pumpkiny, sweet goodness that, truly, I’m sure not many could forgo… You try them, and tell me I’m wrong, ok?
Pumpkin Biscuit Recipe
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold butter, divided
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine pumpkin and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
3. Bake at 425° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over biscuits. Serve warm. Yield: 6 biscuits.
Source: tasteofhome, originally published as Pumpkin Patch Biscuits in Country Woman October/November 2008, p35
Nutritional Values for Pumpkin Biscuit Recipe (1 biscuit):
- 279 calories
- 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat)
- 37 mg cholesterol
- 471 mg sodium
- 34 g carbohydrate
- 2 g fiber
- 4 g protein
Now I know you are all thinking, “Amy, how can this recipe for biscuits possibly be healthy at 279 calories and 14 grams of fat per biscuit?” Well readers, I have to confess, they are not healthy. They are not low fat. In fact, there’s not a whole lotta healthy going on here other than the fact that they are made from scratch with whole ingredients from home. Buy organic ingredients, and you’ll do yourself one better! – HA! You won’t find all the garbage, ingredients, and preservatives we can’t pronounce in this batch of biscuits (at least I can’t pronounce them). Just fatty, homemade hearty goodness from love… Bahahahahahahaha… Did you all buy that? Ahhh, I’m trying folks…
The truth is, this Pumpkin Biscuit Recipe really is one of the best I’ve ever made, and I just had to share it with all of you. I make it for Thanksgiving, simply because the biscuits taste – WONDERFUL….and they smell good, and did I mention they’re wonderful? Anyway, I justify serving them to my family, because I only make them once a year, and when I do make them, I make just enough – I make like 4 batches to make sure everyone in the family gets one. And then, it’s all over until next year…
Moderation is key when it comes to this Pumpkin Biscuit Recipe, moderation is key…
Enjoy and indulge,
Happy soon to be Thanksgiving to you all and much love, ((HUGS))